- 3 whole ancho chiles
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed),
cut into chunks
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- soft flour tortillas, warmed for serving
- Assorted taco toppings e.g cilantro, diced tomatoes, radish, avocado, for garnish.
- Stem and seed the ancho chiles; peel the garlic and transfer the chiles and garlic to a blender. Then add the chipotle in adobo sauce, diced onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt and the oregano to the blender; puree until smooth.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil; add the chile sauce and fry, stirring, until thick and fragrant for about 5 minutes. Then add the chicken broth broth and reduce until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Season the pork shoulder all over with salt and pepper, transfer to a large slow cooker. Add bay leaves and cinnamon stick, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on high until the meat is tender for about 6 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Using forks, start to shred the pork in to strips. Serve the shredded pork in soft flour tortillas, along with assorted taco toppings.
PREP TIME: 20 min
TOTAL TIME: 6hrs 20min
SERVINGS: 8 approx.