- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 jalapenos, minced and seeded
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1/2 small onion, minced (optional)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni, dry
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Saute minced jalapenos, garlic & onion until tender.
- Add flour, pepper, cumin and cayenne. Stir mixture for two minutes. Then gradually add milk until smooth and creamy. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Cook macaroni until tender (if you haven't prepared already). Drain macaroni.
- Add shredded cheese to sauce and stir until melted.
- Add sauce to macaroni in a buttered casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and bake in oven until top is brown and bubbly.
PREP TIME: 15 min
TOTAL TIME: 45-50 min